Fire hazard are one of the most popular and concerned topic these days because fire incidents claim many lives, destroys properties and lead to the irreparable damages. Cooking is ranked as the top in the leading cause of kitchen fires in the home. It is essential to take out the time to talk about safety topics related to such fire hazard and should be done on a regular basis in homes, schools, offices and other small to big establishments.
Firstly, let us discuss the activities which have the potential to lead fire hazard and how to prevent them:
A few wrong practices can lead to kitchen fires because all the materials present in it, like grease, electricity, and water etc. can create a fire hazard.
When working with grease it is needed to be extra careful. Grease fire hazard are very common to occur when oil or greasy food gets ignition. Simply covering the grease fire with a pan lid is the easiest way to smother a grease fire. Turn the burner off and do not move the pan and never put water on it.
An Adult person should always be present in the kitchen and never allow a child to be alone there.
Do not wear synthetic clothes when you are cooking and always put on tight-fitting clothes with sleeves rolled up.
Make sure to turn off the gas burner immediately if the fire does not light off, also switch off immediately after cooking. These electric stoves stay hot and may require a lot of time to cool down, so be cautious as they can be dangerous. Get the gas burner inspected periodically by a professional person to avoid all possible causes of fire hazard.
It is mandatory to keep the cooking area clean because cooking oil leads to vapors that get collect on the kitchen surfaces, such as cupboards, curtains etc. These vapors build-up might act as fuel to a fire hazard in the kitchen.
Make sure to keep all vents of the microwave to be cleared from any sort of obstructions. In case if fire breaks then put off the fire in the microwave, turn off the appliance and keep its door closed.
Tinfoil or any other metal based substance should not be used in the microwave because sparks reflected by the metal ignite combustibles in it like spilled food.
Always keep flammable things like towels, cloth piece, paper bags, or cereal boxes, away from the gas burner. Never use micro oven as a place to store the things because turning on the oven can ignite the objects inside, leading to the fire hazard.
It is important to take caution while cooking and handling the hot objects, use potholders instead of rags to handle the pots.
Always try to keep electrical appliances as far as possible away from water sources like sink and fire sources like gas stove etc.
It is advisable to use government approved, thermostatically-controlled pans for deep-fry, if used correctly, will not exceed the temperature of cooking oil which can lead to fire hazard.
Above discussed facts, in regard of fire hazard in the kitchen are very important to be kept in mind, for reducing the fire hazard, as the kitchen is often the most fire-prone area in the house. Still if, any fire in the kitchen does not extinguish immediately then leave the house and call the fire emergency services.