How to Install a Programmable Thermostat Yourself
Installation of a programmable thermostat is an easy job, and new thermostat will save the energy which is used to either heat or cool the living place. Before starting the installation, you must read the instructions carefully related to how to install a programmable thermostat because thermostats are available in different models hence their instructions may also vary to some extent.
Before following the steps of how to install a programmable thermostat, collect the required tools to install it, like screwdrivers, black electrical tapes, drill etc., usually small screwdrivers come into use because thermostat has little screws.
How to install a programmable thermostat?
• Turn off the power supply to the old thermostat, it is an important safety measure of how to install programmable thermostat.
• Take off the front plate of the old thermostat with the help of the screwdriver, open up all the screws that are mounted on the front plate to the back and then also from the wall.
• Take out the old thermostat carefully and bring out its attached wires from the hole in the wall.
• Before separating the wires from the old thermostat, note down properly where these wires are attached. Keep in mind the letter designation on the wires to identify them rather than their colors.
• Separate the wires from the old thermostat, and attach them carefully to the new programmable thermostat with the help of plastic connectors that come along with the new thermostat.
• Match each labeled wire with the next wire of the same letter on the new thermostat and connect these. Connecting the wires is an important part of how to install a programmable thermostat? You can also connect them as directed by the manufacturer’s instructions.
• Securely tie the wires in to a loop or keep them with the wall with the help of electrical tape and stuff the wires back in the switch box.
• Place the new thermostat on the wall directly or over the switch box and screw it securely on the switch box. It might be possible that you need to make a new hole for the new thermostat model, in that case use drill to make holes.
• Now it is time to turn on the thermostat in order to check its proper functioning. Finally, program the thermostat according to your temperature preferences and you do not have any more questions on how to install a programmable thermostat?
• If some problem is coming in the above steps and still you are in dilemma of how to install programmable thermostat, then it is advisable to call electrical technician.
• When you are about to clean up the left over material, then do not forget to look for the bulb of the old thermostat which has the presence of mercury, a silver colored liquid. Do not throw it in to the routine garbage can because it is hazardous in nature and need to be handled and disposed carefully.
How to install a programmable thermostat is pretty straightforward process. Thermostat gives the choice to set specific temperatures according to different times of the day. One can select a programmable thermostat that is reasonably priced and easily available at the hardware store.